Some time ago I wrote how to fix NX to work with Matlab, but with a recent upgrade of my Linux Mint virtual machine I have noticed that the system started to behave oddly every time the session was restored. While Matlab was still working OK, the elements in other programs started disappearing randomly (mostly text, but images as well sometimes).
I did not manage to find an answer online, however, there were some hints that pointer towards problems with X11 rendering extensions. It turns out that this was actually the cause as an additional NX agent flag
-norender (it was a guess actually) reverted everything to normal state. So the
AgentExtraOptions line that I mention in the previous post should now look like:
AgentExtraOptions = "-norender -nocomposite -noshpix -noshmem"
The configuration has been tested with Linux Mint 15 using MATE desktop.